History

In the Beginning

Aero Club In the beginningRQAC first known as the Australian Aero Club – Queensland Section, was formed in June 1910 and is one of the older Aero Clubs in the World.

Following World War I in 1919 the Australian Aero Club – Queensland Section commenced flying training.

In 1920 the Australian Aero Club – Queensland Section was renamed to the Queensland Aero Club and this continued until 1935 when Royal Charter was granted and the title became “Royal Queensland Aero Club”.

In the 1920sGolden Age of Aviation

The Patron of the Royal Queensland Aero Club is the duly appointed Governor of Queensland. The Club has always catered to the flying aspirations of men and women alike, one of the more prominent lady members being Mrs Lores Bonney in the early 1940s.

1920 QAC was granted a licence by the government to carry passenger and engage in aerial work. (Preceding Qantas by some months!).
The first suitable training aircraft were imported by QANTAS who set up flying schools at Longreach and Eagle Farm, Brisbane. The latter centre operated by Chief Flying Instructor Captain Lester Brain who was also a well known member of QAC.
1928 Aerodrome site Hanger 2, at Archerfield was purchased for flight training operations.
1929 QAC commenced flight training in Queensland under contract with Qantas.
1931 Eagle Farm airport closed and facilities transferred to Archerfield Airport Hanger 1.
1935 Royal Charter was granted resulting in the title Royal Queensland Aero Club

World War II

1940 Hangars, aircraft, and instructors seconded by RAAF No. 2 Empire Flight Training School, Archerfield
Civil Flying ceased due to WWII

Post War

1945 RQAC resumed operations out of Hangar One with administration located in the terminal building.
1964 Construction of premises were commenced, (currently housing reception, operations, and the Airline Academy of Australia).
1966 Current clubhouse officially opened
1984 Hangar one purchased from the Commonwealth
1994 Awarded the Sword of Honour by the Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators
1998 ATAE – Engineering Training School developed
1995 Airline Academy of Australia commenced
2010 RQAC flying operations return to Hangar One
RQAC Club Lounge opened